The primary function of the role is to work closely with the Director of Legal to advise the University of Dundee in managing its legal risk.
This will include advising on a wide range of legal and related commercial issues regarding the drafting, reviewing and implementation of contracts. There will also be elements of regulatory compliance and information governance.
You will be able to work independently and autonomously and be a key part of the legal team liaising with senior management who will rely on you for your commercially focussed, solution orientated advice.
You will have strong communication skills combined with commercial insight. It’s a crucial task that, at times, you sit within multi-disciplinary teams as required and lead complex negotiations from origin to completion.
You will assist the Director of Legal to ensure that the University (including any project Teams) receive high quality legal advice on demand.
This role will engage in a broad range of commercial and regulatory work including, but not limited to negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts and general corporate and regulatory matters.
Additional responsibilities include providing commercial and legal advice as required by the Director of Legal outside of key projects as required.
4. Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed for the Job:
- Have adequate post qualification legal experience within private practice and/or in an in-house role.
- Have an unrestricted practicing certificate from a relevant Law Society.
- Recent relevant corporate/ commercial contracts experience
- Recent regulatory experience
- Ability to provide commercial advice and take a pragmatic approach to solving legal and commercial problems.
- An ability to effectively communicate complex topics and concepts to a diverse audience and demonstrate the highest professional standards of operation and service is essential.
- The candidate will possess a high degree of self-confidence and convey an authoritative manner and will command the respect of others whilst being seen as someone of integrity, sincerity and in whom others place their trust.
- The ability to develop strong working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders and have strong influencing skills is required. The role holder must demonstrate a thorough approach to work, be detail conscious, have high personal standards and be able to organise them self and others effectively whilst demonstrating commercial awareness and understanding.
- The capability and desire to succeed are essential in this role. The successful candidate must have the ability and willingness to take responsibility for difficult decisions.
- Experience of information governance and safeguarding and the legal issues that arise from that.
- Experience advising Universities or other public authorities.
- In-house experience.
The main site will be the University’s campus in Dundee.
Hybrid Working is available on a 3/2 split with 3 days in the Office – this can be subject to negotiation.
On offer is a competitive salary and benefits package.
David Thomson- Director
For a confidential discussion or to apply, please contact:
Telephone: 0131 450 7164