M Squared is a multi-award-winning photonics and quantum technology company. For over a decade, it has provided the world’s purest light to enable scientific progress and power industry – helping to address some of society’s greatest challenges. Its laser systems are working to realise the potential of the coming quantum age, improve healthcare and provide the scientific understanding to help halt climate change.
M Squared has already established itself as one of the UK’s most innovative, disruptive technology businesses. Recognised by the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 and Sunday Times Fast Track 100 and Export Track 100 and awarded the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise in Innovation and International Trade.
Founded in Scotland, M Squared employs more than 100 people and has offices throughout the UK, Europe and the USA.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
M Squared has a rare and exciting opportunity for a qualified lawyer to join our in-house team as Legal Counsel, to be based at our central Glasgow office. This is a key appointment within a closely-knit team, reporting to the Senior Legal.
- As a key addition to M Squared’s focused, commercial and agile group- wide legal function, a key deliverable is supporting legal/regulatory compliance and IP management across the business. A busy,stimulating, demanding and varied position that genuinely offers the chance to utilise legal skills in the context of a world-changing science and technology business.
- Managing legal risk and maintenance of robust business processes for legal compliance and operations, and ensuring there is appropriate legal framework across the organisation, including IP exploitation, licensing in, R&D, sales process, corporate transactional, company secretarial, compliance and regulatory.
- Ability to operate with autonomy and independence in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Taking ownership of matters in a variety of common in-house practice areas including contract review and negotiation, employment, and supplier and risk management.
- Managing strategic projects and external counsel.
- Using, managing and adopting information technology solutions to create opportunities and efficiencies within the legal function and business generally. M Squared’s Group Legal is an active and enthusiastic introducer and user of legal technology solutions.
- Admitted to practice law in Scotland and/or England and Wales.
- From NQ-3 years PQE and with experience of technology / IP / corporate / commercial contract work in either a top-tier law firm or highly regarded in-house position.
- A demonstrable passion for science and technology and a practical understanding of the exploitation of knowledge and intellectual property.
- Hands on, energetic, intellectually curious.
- Personal credibility and the ability to inspire trust and respect of colleagues.
- Displaying strong legal, commercial, and business understanding combined with ability to provide clear advice and support.
- Sound legal judgement and interpersonal and negotiation skills, including the ability to influence, set an example for, and train non-legal colleagues.
- Self-motivated and well organised with the ability to handle multiple high-value projects while attending to details.
- Able to prioritise tasks, set expectations, and work under pressure.
This role offers a competitive salary and benefits package and the chance to work as part of a dynamic and innovative technology company.
For a confidential discussion about this position, to request the full job description or to apply, please contact:
David Thomson- Director
Telephone: +44 (0) 141 244 0260